Steven T. Moon
Columbia • Shareholder
Steve Moon is counsel for a number of healthcare entities. He focuses his practice in defending physicians and businesses in lawsuits in state and federal courts. Steve has represented many healthcare institutions, including hospitals, nursing homes, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and assisted living facilities in defense of claims against them involving their business activities and professional negligence. He handles data security and privacy, as well as HIPAA matters.
He also serves on the Environmental Litigation Team, which handles toxic tort and contamination claims, as well as the defense of enforcement actions by governmental agencies such as DHEC, DENR, and the EPA.
Steve served as the liaison counsel for several pharmacy companies in a class-action/mass tort lawsuit in South Carolina. Serving on the firm’s Construction and Products Liability Team, he focuses on construction defects, personal injury and general business issues. He also has significant experience in transportation and railroad issues. In addition, he is a former Chairman of the Lawyer-Physician Relationship Committee, as well as past Chairman of the Continuing Legal Education Committee of the South Carolina Bar. By appointment of the South Carolina Supreme Court Chief Justice, Steve served on the Executive Committee of the Committee on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization. He was appointed in 2018 by the SC Bar Board of Governors to represent the 5th Judicial District in the House of Delegates.
Steve has been a certified mediator for more than 10 years.
- South Carolina, 1986
- United States District Court, South Carolina, 1986
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1987
- United States Supreme Court, 1996
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- South Carolina Bar
-Health Care Law Section Council (former Chairman)
-House of Delegates representative, 5th Circuit
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- The Defense Research Institute, Inc.
- Former Chairman, South Carolina Commission on Continuing Legal Education, appointed by Chief Justice
- American Health Lawyers Association
- McLeod Regional Medical Staff Meeting “SCRIPTS and South Carolina Prescribing and Regulation of Opioids: Legal Perspective,” September 10, 2018
- Charlotte Area Environmental Breakfast Club
“Down and Dirty with Coal Ash” – March 28, 2015
- Carolinas Construction & Environmental Claims Seminar, March 2013, March 2014, March 2015
Organizer and Speaker
Videos from the program
Pleadings and Discovery
Emerging Claims – Coal Ash Litigation
Cost-Shifting Strategies in Defending Lawsuits
Lone Pine and Case Management Orders
- 2015 IADC Midyear Meeting
“Ashes to Ashes”: The Regulation and Litigation over Coal Ash – February 2015
Defended a physician under allegations of improper treatment of patient for suicide
Bank Fraud & Environmental Crime
Represented a financial institution in a bankruptcy case involving a debtor who created multiple fictitious companies to defraud more than 25 financial institutions throughout the Southeast and Midwest. Plaintiff was sentenced to 73 months for bank fraud and 60 months for storing hazardous wastes without a permit.
Defended a trucking company in a case involving 20 truckloads of machinery transported to central Mexico from Alabama. Allegations included faulty cargo securing and cargo damaged during transport with a multi-million dollar damage claim. The case settled in the low six-figures.