Catherine Ava Kopiec
Columbia • Associate
Catherine focuses her practice in the areas of civil litigation, namely products liability, construction defect litigation, and general insurance defense. She is a 2012 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law and earned her undergraduate degree at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Catherine has handled various complex construction defect matters, representing a range of parties from developers to general contractors, subcontractors, and materials suppliers. She has also represented a wide variety of product manufacturers and distributors in cases ranging from property damage to catastrophic injury.
Active in professional and community organizations, Catherine serves on the Young Lawyers Steering Committee for DRI (Defense Research Institute) as Marketing Chair. She also serves as the Young Lawyers Marketing Liaison for the DRI Products Liability Committee and was appointed as the organization’s State Membership Chair for South Carolina.
She is an active member of the Junior League of Columbia, where she serves as Vice Chair of the New Member Committee.
- South Carolina, 2012
- US District Court, South Carolina, 2013
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 2013
- United States Supreme Court, 2017
- DRI – Young Lawyers Committee, Products Liability Committee, South Carolina State Membership Chair, Annual Meeting Liaison for South Carolina
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar – Young Lawyers Division
- Claims & Litigation Management (CLM)
Best and Brightest Under 35 – Columbia Business Monthly, 2016
- Seminar presentation – 2018 DRI Young Lawyers Seminar – Taking Charge of Your Path
- Webinar: DRI – “Everything We Wish We Would Have Known As New Associates” (April 2018)
- DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, September 2015, Personal or Collective: May the Duty to Defend Be Divided Among Multiple Insurers of a Common Insured
- DRI For the Defense, May 2017 – Bad Attitudes, Jerks, Bullies: Let the Maxims Be Your Guide
- Junior League of Columbia – New Member Committee Vice Chair
- Palmetto Health/Prisma Health Cavalry – Founding Member